project governances: THEY DEPEND on the type of contract that IS implemented and DEFINE THE SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES OF EACH STAKEHOLDER. Here are the main ones:
• The Owner signs as many contracts as they are stakeholders.
• The architect is responsible for the conception of the project and the management of the construction site.
• Each contractor is hired directly by the owner. Each contractor is responsible for his works, and only his works.
• The Owner signs two main contracts: one with the architect, one with the General Contractor.
• The architect is responsible for the conception of the project. The General contractor is responsible for the works.
• The General Contractor hires sub-contractors that have no contractual relationship with the Owner.
Total Services Contractor
• The Owner signs only one contract with the Total Services Contractor.
• The Total Services Contractor is responsible for the conception of the project as well as the works.
• The Total Services Contractor hires the architects, engineers and sub-contractors. None of them has a contractual relationship with the Owner.
Many other project organizations exist and can be implemented depending on the type and the context of each project.